Delicious Frosted Mocha Cookies

Wednesday, October 16, 2013



Cooking is one of my favourite past times.  I generally try to have some kind of baked goods around the farmhouse.  I think it comes with having constantly hungry, constantly growing children that enjoy good, tasty, homemade food!

I came across this recipe for Frosted Mocha Cookies in one of The Homemaker's Mentor lessons.  Our family loves to test new recipes &  we all decided right away to try this one!  There is something about the combination of chocolate & coffee that tends to draw my attention very easily!  Of course over here we call them biscuits, so it seems strange to by typing cookies, but either way they are in fact deliciously delicious and a firm family favourite (which is a requirement of posting on my blog!).  


Notes: ~ I did adapt the recipe slightly as they were made for our Sunday School Picnic.  We have people in our church with various food allergies. 
~ I have no idea where to find or how to use shortening so decided to use copha instead (a coconut oil ~ found in the butter section).  
~I made a double batch which gave a lot of biscuits.  I froze the excess & they have defrosted perfectly! 


All adaptation I made are in italics after the original recipe.

*************************
 FROSTED MOCHA COOKIES:

INGREDIENTS: 
  2oz (57g) baking chocolate ( I used a mixture of what we had at home ~ some dark, some milk);
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (copha);
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk ( I used milk with 1 tbs vinegar added & sat for a few minutes as I was out of buttermilk);
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose (plain) flour (I used a gluten free mix & had to add a little more at the end to get the correct consistency);
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts ( I used coconut & had to add a little extra);
1 cup chocolate chips;


ICING:
1/4 cup butter (softened)

2 Tbs cocoa;
2 tsp instant coffee granules;
2 1/2 cups icing sugar;
1 1/2 tsp vanilla;
Milk (if required) (I used boiling water which also helped dissolve the coffee)

METHOD:
1.  Melt chocolate& shortening (copha) together in a saucepan over low heat.  Be sure to stir constantly as chocolate burns very easily.  Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
2. Add to the cooled mix the brown sugar & egg. Mix well.
3.  Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder & salt into a bowl.  Add chocolate mixture. Mix.
4. Stir in walnuts (coconut) & chocolate chips.  
(At this point I found my adapted mixture a little runny so added a small amount of both coconut & flour.)
5.  Drop small spoonfuls onto lined baking trays. 
6. Bake at 375 degrees F or 190 degrees C for about 10 minutes.  Watch carefully as you do not want them over-baked.  They are meant to be soft & chewy. 
7. Once cooled lightly spread tops with Mocha Frosting.

Mocha Frosting Method:
Mix together all ingredients in a bowl until creamy.  Dribble in spoonfuls of milk (or boiling water) to make the frosting spreadable.

These are delicious treats ~ Homebaked with Love!

This recipe is shared with permission from The Homemaker's Mentor

***************************************


I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we have!

~  Don't forget to enter my Giveaway of 2 x The Homemaker's Mentor~

(Click on image to go to giveaway post) 

Have a wonderful day friends!
Blessings


Blog Widget by LinkWithin