A simple daybook...

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Years ago I used to join in a linky called 'The Simple Woman's Daybook'.  It was one of my favourite blog linkys as it is these little things that I love to look back at & remember.  This blog is not just about those large, memorable events in our life here on the farm.  For even the little things are worth noting ( & yes, I do know that I post reviews as well - that is something my children have begged me to do as they LOVE the many products they get to try). 
I recently saw a friend posted their daybook & it piqued my interest as I thought this particular linky was lost in the world of cyberspace.  I went searching & found it once again.  I decided right then to join in the very next week.
 
 While the daybook is meant to be recorded of a Monday, I found my Monday this week far to filled to find the time to sit down & write here.  So now I find myself on the farthest cuff of Tuesday finally sliding in a minute to sit down & record. 


For Today...  
 14th July 2015


Outside my window... 
Night has fallen & all is peaceful.  The winter evenings find us lingering near to our fireplace.  The crisp, cool air of daytime gives way to frigid, icy air of night.  The farm animals are tucked away in their shelters or lingering within the warmth of the treed areas and all is calm within the boundaries of our piece of earth. 


I am thinking...
About how far removed my day ended up being from it's original plans.  The battery to the pig's electric fence decided to stop working & today the pigs made the most of it. Delores was on heat & led the foray with Boris hot on her heals.  I chased them to the boundary & back (about 2km), I hollered & honked the horn on the old farm ute, but to no avail. The only thing that moved her was that he was chasing her & she obviously 'had a headache'.  Finally, when she got over her 'headache' they calmly moved back to their pen.  Dave purchased a new battery for the electric fence & it is now working once again.
I do believe Delores is laughing at me here!!!
Then when I checked the lambing ewes after finally wrangling the pigs back in place,  I found 4 of the ewes laying down & not able to get back up.  I helped 3 of them up, but try as I might, I couldn't coerce the other one to move at all.  In the end Dave went & looked her over.  He made the decision to put her down (sigh). 


I am thankful...
For today.  Too often I forget how each day is a blessing in itself.  Each day that I get to nurture my children, to walk across grass filled paddocks, & to kiss my wonderful husband is undeserved.  I am so thankful for this blessed life I live!


I am wearing...
My warm winter dressing gown & pink flannelette pyjamas! (Did I mention it's cold tonight?)

I am creating...
Very little... curtains for the kitchen; a blanket in my crochet basket half completed, but nothing that is of any great importance or needed imminently.

I am going...
To bed....very, very soon!  Already Dave lies tucked in warming up the bed!  One of my favourite things about winter is the many layers of blankets & quilts on the bed!  I love to snuggle underneath them!

I am wondering...
If Dave locked up the lamb shed yet.  In fact I just asked & her replied 'not yet' so I guess I don't need to wonder that any more.

I am reading...
Possibly far too many books as per usual.  I always have several on the go & at the moment I am reading:
design-LA-curriculum
on my ereader;
 
to accompany my Bible reading each morning;
 
From the library;
 
The latest Diggers Seed Annual Catalogue....because I like to dream about plan my garden;
 
As my light, going to sleep reading...because if I read something that makes me think it wakes me up, but if it's light & thoughtless it will put me right to sleep.

I am hoping...
That we get a permanent foster placement soon.  Every morning I wake up not knowing if that day will be the one where the call comes through.  Every evening there is a little disappointment as I realise it was not to be.  I know God has the right timing of all of this in place, but I can't help but hope it will be sooner rather than later.

I am learning...
How capable our children are as they take on even more responsibility...we are currently feeding 31 poddy lambs & they are integral parts of the team!

In my garden...
The garlic & coriander are growing alongside weeds that I must find time to eradicate very soon.  I planted 50 strawberry crowns just last week & every day I check them to see if they are growing (yes, they are & I hope we have an abundant harvest of strawberries this year)!


In my kitchen...
Today held very little cooking time other than the very basics needed to place delicious & nutritious meals on the table.  My kitchen is currently utilised to make up many bottles for poddy lambs three times a day.  Tomorrow the plan is muffins for breakfast,  toasted sandwiches for lunch & pumpkin soup for dinner. Slice is recorded to bake as a snack, but what kind it yet to be decided (Ellie will probably do this & thus make the decision)!


In the homeschool room...
Today marked the first day back to schoolwork after our winter holiday break.  While it ended up being a busy day on the farm by default, the children still worked hard & completed all their maths & language arts. Unfortunately as this afternoon's nice, neat history plans went awry, there were no additional, 'official' subjects completed in the schoolroom.  ( I am hoping that wrangling pigs, lambs & sheep counted for something as it ended up taking over our afternoon)


A favorite quote for today...
“The best things are never arrived at in haste. God is in no hurry; His plans are never rushed.”
― Michael R. Phillips

One of my favorite things...
My husband's arms, my children's smiles, this place I call home.

From the board room...
Butterscotch Blondies from JensFavoriteCookies.com - A PERFECT basic blondie recipe with butterscotch chips.
 
We've made these many times & they are simply divine!!
 

Post Script:
Joining up today with other ladies recording their daybooks at:
 
http://thesimplewoman.blogspot.com.au/2015/07/the-july-13th-edition-winner.html
 
Blessings Friends
 


Blog Widget by LinkWithin