Sweet potato and chocolate chunk muffins with cream cheese icing!

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Mmmm.. 
Just saying this name makes my mouth water! 


 I've never been a muffin person ~ not because I don't like them, but because I just don't have enough muffin tins to cook them efficiently (let's face it 6 at a time is s.l.o.w. going ~ and you know how patient I am with things ;o  ).  This year I have braved a few different recipes (OK I used my friand tin, which although it doesn't make a perfect muffin does still hold them adequately to cook them ). So when I stumbled across this recipe here I was right in the mood for a bit of playing in the kitchen.   With a little bit of tweaking & of course some "renataizing" the final product may well be the most delicious muffins I've ever tasted!! Yes, the sweet potato was my idea ( much to the disgust of my children who were sure I was going to wreck them before I even started), OK the chocolate chunks eventuated because I had no chocolate chips in the cupboard and as for the the icing ~well it just seemed to work in my head (& on the palate) ~ but after tasting these I do believe I've stumbled on a winner & my whole family agree ( even the more skeptical of the bunch). 

I hope you enjoy these:

Sweet potato & chocolate chunk muffins with cream cheese icing!

Ingredients: 
4 eggs
2.5 cups raw sugar
2 cups of mashed sweet potato
3.5 cups of plain flour ( I used half white & half wholemeal)
2 tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg 
1 tsp ground ginger
1 cup olive oil
3/4 cup water
approx 100g dark chocolate cut into chunks

Icing:
1 pkt philly cream cheese
icing sugar

1.  Mix eggs, sugar and sweet potato until well combined.  
2.  In a seperate bowl combine dry ingrediants
3. Add dry ingredients alternatively with oil & water to egg mixture.
4.  Mix well & add to greased or lined muffin tins.
5.  Cook approx 15 mins in medium oven until brown on top & knife comes out clean.
6.  Allow to cool

Icing:
Beat cream cheese with electric beaters until soft ~  you can use a wooden spoon,  but it will hurt :)
Add icing sugar & beat ~ continue adding until you have a sweet, stiff mixture ~ approx 1 1/2 cups ( sorry I didn't get exact).  When at desired texture ice the cooled muffins or pipe it on top!

Enjoy!!!!



 Next time I head into town, I'm going to buy a whole bunch of proper muffin tins so that these can be a more regular treat (& maybe try some different muffin recipes ~ got any  recommendations?).

Have a wonderful day




14 comments:

Ruby Jean said...

Hello Renata....

I thoroughly enjoyed your visit the other day....It is always so nice to hear from you.. Okay I am not a BIG sweet potato fan.... But I do believe I am going to have to give this recipe a try....They look awfully DELICIOUS.... And I am a Sucker for Cream Cheese Frosting :)

I pray all is going well and that you are enjoying, I believe... Spring...???

Blessings My Friend

Amanda said...

oh yes.
give them to me now!
oh wait you are like in another country;-)
thankgoodness for fancy photos and computers.

and is that an oil lamp in the background??
how NEAT!
we are on the lookout for one at yardsales to put on our table.
love.love.love.

Mum-me said...

I will be putting these on my "to try" list. They look delicious.

My two favourite muffin recipes are Orange Poppyseed, and Sultana & Coconut. Send me an email if you would like the recipes.

abba12 said...

Choc banana is my husbands favourite hands down

I like a nice apple cinnamon

But both have to be moist, and I'm yet to find a nice, moist recepie for either of them.

Smilie girl said...

What a terrific combination! They look yummy and must be if your taste testers all agree.

dr momi said...

Those sound great!

Grandma said...

yummo, can't wait to try them! Didn't realize you didn't have muffin tins....I really do enjoy a good muffin (home made).
I made some delicious biscuits the other day - from one of Cor's nigella books - they have oats, cranberries, white choclate and pecans (along with the standard biscuit ingreds). They're supposed to be a Christmas thing, but they taste alright in spring. Took some to College along with my Rocky Road for a Sophisticated Palate - both were exceedingly popular (and incredibly easy to make).

Better go, and get some sleep - have to take Granny to the Pod clinic at Kelvin Grove tomorrow. The next 2 weeks looks like being insane (please pray for my next assignment - due on 25th and I've barely started it and have sooooooooo...............much to do between now and then. Maybe I should ask Dave for some tips on doing them in very limited time frames ;-)
Lots of love to you all,
Mum xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Haf Dozen Reasons....... said...

Muffins freeze well so make a bunch and enjoy them often!
I have a pumpkin(or applesauce) oatmeal recipe that we like. Banana choc chip.
I will try to get recipes to you.

Unknown said...

OH! I am so writing this one down!

Sorry I have been absent from commenting lately...super busy here lately! Hope all is well with you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, Renata, these sound really yummy. I am definitely going to try them and I will let you know the result! I love smuggling hidden vegies in too , heheheh. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I remember when I lived in London, I used to really yearn for the beach. I would dream of swimming in the surf for several nights in a row. Lucky I didn't wet the bed. Hahaha! xx Cath Beautiful Life

Nikki said...

Those sound and look so good.I love the ladybug muffin liners.They are too cute.

Regan Family Farm said...

So good to hear from you...I've missed all my "friends"! Muffins are such a great mid-morning snack, though we can't manage to keep them around for long :)
Have a wonderful weekend~
Kathy

Unknown said...

These sound absolutely delicious!! What a great combo! Saving this recipe to try out - thanks for sharing it! :)

Farmgirl Heidi said...

Those muffins look yummy. Thanks for sharing and linking up on the Thanksgiving Recipe Challenge! I'm gonna have to try them.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin